To lose body fat, you have to start with your reason for wanting to achieve your weight loss goal. Do you want to look better? Are you searching for an added benefit to your health? Are you planning a vacation or going away for the holidays? Is it a personal choice? Are you entering into a competition?
A number of reasons exist as to why people want to lower their percentage of body fat, but if you are going to achieve your goal, you have to devote yourself to it entirely. Your body needs to have a certain percentage of body fat and it is going to do everything in its power to ensure it maintains that percentage. Your body will end up slowing down its metabolism to help ensure it always has the amount of body fat it needs. It will also end up holding onto your body fat and using up your muscle tissue instead. Many people don’t realize just how clever the body is. You are not going to be able to trick your body into changing overnight.
Ensure you are planning your life around the changes you want to make. You need to have a precise and clear aim as to what your reason is for changing your body. Set a date to begin the transformation. Let family and friends know about your goals, so that way you have someone to lean to for support. It is not going to be easy to attain your goal of low body fat percentage. You need to be committed to the cause 100 percent.
Make sure you are following the regime as outlined below to ensure your success in losing excess body fat:
- Restricting the amount of calories you intake is not going to help you lose the weight you desire. Your body has mechanisms that are going to store the fat, slow down your metabolism and use your muscle tissue to help increase your energy. You may lose weight, but it is not going to be the weight you want to lose. When you discontinue the diet, you are going to gain back everything you lost and then some.
- Make sure you are eating meals more frequently. Never go longer than three hours without the consumption of food. Eating six meals per day is ideal. Even though you are not eating any additional calories, you are spreading them out over the day to allow your metabolism to increase, curb cravings and maintain an even blood sugar level. You are creating an environment that helps you to gain muscle and lose fat.
- For those who are trying to lose body fat, you will have to consume less than what your body needs. Instead of trying to count calories, try counting portions. Portions are equal to the size of your clenched fist. This is the easiest way to portion your foods. If you do not have the proper foods, you are not going to see any results.
Essential Food Groups
- Essential Fatty Acids – Thanks to extensive research, it has been determined that there are 45 essential ingredients that our bodies must have to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Our bodies are unable to make these ingredients on their own. You have to obtain these essential nutrients from the foods you consume. If your body is deficient in any of these nutrients, it will cause your health to deteriorate. Omega 3s help to maintain a healthy immune system and protect your body from the pollutants in the air. They are also imperative for brain development in adults.
- Protein – Even though a large number of people assume that you need to consume large amounts of protein, you want to aim for around 1.5 grams of protein for every kilogram you have in weight. You also need to make sure you are consuming the proper amount of energy from your carbohydrates. If you take in an excess of protein, it will be burned as fuel or stored as fat.
- Carbohydrates – Your body utilizes various types of carbohydrates differently. Make sure that you are carefully monitoring the type of carbohydrates you consume and determine what the best one for your specific set of circumstances is. Carbohydrates help to promote energy, aid in the digestion process, provide the proper minerals and vitamins and help you manage your overall diet.